Volunteering, Church Rep & Committee Signups
- Volunteering, Church Rep and Committees
- Volunteer Activities
- 2) Church Representative Application
- 3) Join a Committee
Kalamazoo Right To Life (KRTL) has several opportunities to Volunteer and Get Involved. In addition, KRTL will provide Certificates for students for any of our Volunteer Activities to assist in meeting “Community Action Credit(s)”. Certificates will be provided at the completion of the activity.
Please consider the list of volunteer activities below and check off the ways you are able and willing to help HERE. Thank you!
Conference Book Ads –
- All RLM Affiliates participate in this annual event by contacting local Pro-life Businesses to purchase Advertising space in the RLM Conference book. (Total Time: 1-4 hrs)
Phone Calling –
- In election years, a get out the vote phone call campaign is conducted to inform Pro-life voters of Pro-life candidates running in upcoming elections. (Total Time: 2-4 hours; Sept-Oct.)
Skills Needed: able to make phone calls, follow a script, and document response on a call log.
High School Oratory Contest –
- Annually KRTL holds an Oratory Contest for High School students, and offers cash prizes for the winners. The participants submit an entry for the event, and during the contest present their Pro-life topic. There are different roles available: judges, time keeper, set-up, tear-down, etc. (Total Time: approximately 4-6 hrs).
Requirement: able to attend the entire event.
County Fair Pro-life Booth and Contests –
- RLM Affiliates staff county fair booths to educate the public on Pro-life issues. Encourage people to participate in a contest (ex: toss a ring on a baby bottle, bingo, etc.) There are opportunities within SW Michigan. (Total Time: 2-4hrs; Summer)
Skills Needed: Comfortable talking with people, knowledgeable about Pro-life Issues.
Focus on Life Dinner –
- KRTL’s main fundraising and educational event is the Annual Dinner. There are many opportunities to volunteer: Dinner Planning Committee, Students for Set-up and Tear-Down, Decorations, Servers, etc. (Total Time: 2-4 hrs; May)
Skills Needed: Able to stay for assigned responsibility, stand and walk around the room, and lift and arrange tables.
Sanctity of Life Memorial Service –
- This event is special since it is a prayerful memorial held outside to demonstrate publicly those who stand for the lives of the unborn. (Total Time: 2 hrs; January)
Requirements: Able to dress for the weather and stand outside with a group of Pro-life supporters.
Church Outreach –
- Be a Pro-life representative to provide pro-life information to pastors and church members. Our goal is to have a Pro-life Church Representative in every church in Kalamazoo. (Total Time: 4-6 hrs; Annually)
Skills Needed: Able to speak with Pastor and Church members about pro-life issues and assist in KRTL membership drive.
Want to join us?
2) Church Representative Application
From the very beginning, Church Outreach has been very important to Kalamazoo Right to Life. Please consider volunteering for this vital endeavor.
Want to join us?
3) Join a Committee
Kalamazoo Right to Life has opportunities for Pro-life members to join ongoing Committees or Planning Groups. (Time: 2-4 hrs/month). If you have a passion for Pro-life issues, and have organizational and planning skills, please consider joining one of our committees: Membership, Volunteer, Church Outreach, Education, and Annual Dinner.
Description of each committee
Membership Committee –
- The goal of this committee is to increase membership within KRTL and keep members active and informed. In addition to membership, this committee ensures that website material remains current, spotlights hot topics, encourages students and new members to get involved with local Pro-Life activities and encourages members to participate in volunteer activities for KRTL.
Volunteer Committee –
- This committee identifies volunteer opportunities within KRTL, where volunteers can assist with events and activities. This group keeps a current list of volunteers, their interests, and skills; such as Speakers, Letters to the Editor writers, Get Out the Vote calling, IT Assistance, Student Groups, etc.
Church Outreach –
- This group is in the development stages. We are looking for a local leader, who is well versed in the Pro-life message, and a community organizer within the Christian community. The goal of this committee is to secure a Church Representative for each denomination, and then identify a Pro-life spokesperson within each church. This group will maintain open dialogue with the parishes, and conduct KRTL petitions and membership drives. This committee is key to keeping our local Christian brothers and sisters informed about crucial Pro-life issues and Pro-life activities. A responsibility of this committee is to identify pastors for the Annual Dinner, and Sanctity of Life Memorial.
Education Committee –
- This group reviews education materials to assure that current information is available for Newsletter articles, Website, KRTL Blogs, etc. This group will provide input to the Board regarding suggestions for Pro-life Speaker(s) for the annual dinner, and organize the Oratory Contest. It is key for this group to be involved in community Pro-life Student Youth activities, and to identify ways to partner with other Pro-life organizations.
Annual Dinner Committee –
- This committee is key to the success of our Annual Dinner, which is the major fundraising activity for KRTL. Members of this committee plan the entire dinner, from set-up to take-down and everything in between; i.e., menu, decorations, marketing, accommodations for speaker, etc. The chair of this committee will be in communication with all committees to make sure all items are addressed in planning, and volunteers are secured. This committee is also responsible for contacting current and potential underwriters for the dinner, and maintaining a current list of these donors.